Sunday 23 December 2012

Arri Alexa

Arri Alexa

Some dads take their sons on camping trips or baseball games. Mine took me to audio technology trade shows. I remember being 9 years old going to the 1986 AES (Audio Engineering Society) show in NY. Studer was still showcasing their analog multitracks! Since then, I’ve always been like a kid in a candy store when it came to traversing thru convention centers filled with amazing gear!Anyway, I’m going to NAB in Vegas next week and I’ll be vlogging from there but here’s what I’m excited about.
4KIn 2006 at the NAB show, I put down a $1,000 deposit for a RED camera. For two years after that, I was laughed at, teased and snickered at for falling for RED’s ‘scam’.‘It’s vaporware and will never come out.’ ’Who needs 4K anyway?’Well, I got my camera 2 years later and loved everything that came out of it. RED and Dalsa were the only companies with 4K solutions in 2007/2008. Dalsa went out of business shortly thereafter but RED survived and thrived. Even after they delivered on their 2006 promise, controversy still raged with the industry’s resistance 4K as a viable production and post-production format. There was also the argument that RED’s 4K was ‘not real 4K’ because of the inherent de-Bayering process involved with CMOS sensoring. Lots of FUD, lots of mis-information, lots of resistance to change. 4 years after I received RED camera #187 (yes, 187) the rest of the industry has finally agreed that 4K is indeed the future. This year’s NAB is going to cement that.

Arri Alexa

Arri Alexa

Arri Alexa

Arri Alexa

Arri Alexa

Arri Alexa

Arri Alexa

Arri Alexa

Arri Alexa

Arri Alexa

Arri Alexa

Arri Alexa

Arri Alexa

Arri Alexa

Arri Alexa

Arri Alexa

Arri Alexa

1 comment:

  1. great post! Metadata are the cornerstone of 21st century post production. arri alexas

    ReplyDelete